Leeds Bradford Airport Disabled Facilities
Facilities for those with special assistance requirements
Leeds Bradford Airport tries to ensure their disabled passengers are able to travel as comfortably and hassle-free as possible. Facilities for disabled passengers include:
- Reserved parking close to the terminal building for disabled badge holders.
- Lifts to all floors.
- Disabled toilets on all floors of the building, including a Changing Places facility on the first floor
- Wheelchairs and Ramps available on request
- Ambulift for assisting passengers with boarding and alighting from the aircraft
- Hearing induction loop available at the information desk.
If you require any assistance mentioned above, most notably a wheelchair, ramp or use of the ambulift, the airport advises that you arrive at least 2-3 hours before your flight. Please call the OCS team on +44 (0)113 391 1607 to discuss your requirements. You should also contact your airline to make them aware too.
Please also be aware that registered Assistance Dogs are of course welcomed at Leeds Bradford Airport as part of the Pet Travel Scheme – make sure to inform your airline in advance if this applies to you.
Tips for Disabled Passengers
You should compare the arrangements offered by different airlines before making your booking and be sure to check whether the cost of any special assistance is included in the price of your ticket.
Inform your airline of your particular needs in good time and check the policy of your airline if you wish to remain in your own wheelchair to the aircraft door rather than transfer to an airline wheelchair at check-in.
Remember that there are often long walking distances within airports and that this may cause you to require assistance. Pre-arranging any necessary assistance will ensure that it’s available and that no time is lost in waiting for it to be arranged once you arrive at the airport.
The below walking distances are calculated from the main entrance to the;
- Short Stay Car Park: 3 minutes
- Mid Stay Car Park: 2-3 minutes
- Long Stay Car Park: 15 minutes, although shuttle bus is available
- Special Assistance Desk: 1 minute
- Either Check in Hall: 1 minute
- Closest Disabled Toilet: Under 1 minute
The following are calculated from the security gate;
- Special Assistance meeting point: 4-5 minutes
- Disabled Toilet: 2 minutes
- Furthest boarding gate: 8 minutes
And for once you arrive in Leeds Bradford..
- Passport Control to Baggage Reclaim: 1 minute
- Baggage Claim to International Arrivals: 1 minute
Assistance isn’t just focused on those with reduced mobility – what about those with hearing or sight loss, ASD or another medical condition?
Here are three articles written by Airport Parking Shop that cover the above, based on their own research conducted into UK Airports and what they do to support all of their passengers with special assistance requirements;
- Autism in Airports
discusses the difficulties parents of children with ASD face, alongside helpful hints on how to make the experience more pleasent.
- Flying with Diabetes
looks into the common issues faced by those mainly travelling with Type 1 Diabetes and what passengers think needs to be done.
- Using Airports with Sensory Impairments
addresses the problems one might face when travelling if blind or deaf and what support UK Airports offer for these passengers.